Remote Backup - is SSH Optimal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I'm trying to piece together a scenario here and I'm having some difficulty envisioning how it'll work. In short, myself and my family all use Ubuntu, as well as an integrated Linux based piece of software known as Deja Dup for backup purposes. When I was living at home, I had a file server with RAID'd drives that ran 247. Deja Dup on everybody's system was set to automatically back up their files. It works by automatically mounting the smb share with their username/password and proceeds with the backup process.

I'm moving on Friday. I'd rather take the file server with me. But mounting smb shares over the WAN sounds kind of ehh. Deja Dup also supports SSH. However, the only SSH experience I have is using it for a remote terminal session, not necessarily for backup or file transfer purposes.

What I'm questioning is... if I were to forward port 80 to my file server, point everybody's Deja Dup settings to my external IP at my house, would they thereby be able to remotely back up through SSH to my file server miles away?

Concerns:

1 - If my external IP changes, then I'd have to change all of the clients... which... is a pain. Is there a way to work around this?
2 - I have a network based security camera. I'd like to utilize it with my network as well by forwarding it so I can get a live feed from my phone, work, etc. If port 80 is the magic port to forwarding web traffic over the magical internet, how would I do it if I want two separate services to become available? Would I just have to assign the security camera a random port and do ext.ern.al.IP:2400 or whatever port I created?

Any additional info or suggestions is appreciated!

1) Yes - set up a dyndns account then put your account details into your router. This will allow you to have a DNS name pointed to your home (or more accurately, your router)
2) There's nothing magic about port 80, it just happens to be the one over which HTTP traffic is served. SSH on the other hand, normally runs on port 22 (I would recommend setting your port forwarding such that you use a different port externally like 1023 or something and then forward that to port 22 on your server)

EDIT: Also, SSH works very well as a way of moving files over a network. I've taken whole drive images with clonezilla using SSH so they were transferred straight to my server.
If Deja Dup allows you to use key authentication then you definitely should do that for the ultimate fancy backup. Have fun.

Meh. I'd rather use Deja Dup since I've used it for quite a while and it's been rock solid for me. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom