Remote Access? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Remote Access?

I work as a computer tech for a small company. This company is growing rapidly so they are asking for things that are a little over my head. I work in an office in NY. The company just opened a small office in MA and are planning on opening an office in PA and FL. Each small office will have around 5 people. My boss wants these smaller offices to be able to connect to our NY server to access files remotely. He also wants people to be able to access the server from on the road. Up to this point we have used PCAnywhere for remote access from the road but that won't help with the new offices. I was thinking about a VPN (I only know a little about them), not sure if it will work with the amount of connections the company wants. A RAS server also crossed my mind but I don't know anything about them. Any ideas???

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate it.

Old 10-06-2004, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No reply? Can anyone help?

Old 10-06-2004, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I would use VPN. Its more cost effective.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 10-07-2004, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

VPN is an excellent recommendation to make the initial connection to the remote locations, and if each location has a solid firewall ... there won't be a need to open ports (i.e. 5631, etc.) behind the firewall.

Once the VPN is established, you can use one of the "VNC" [RealVNC, TightVNC, etc.] packages (first choice), pcAnywhere (second choice), or Remote Desktop (last choice) to tap directly into one of your remote systems. VNC provides for much faster graphics than pcAnywhere, and VNC and pcAnywhere don't lock out users while you do what you need to do.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the reply guys. How many locations can I connect with a VPN?
Old 10-07-2004, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Anyone there?
Old 10-15-2004, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to wead

same deal here I work in NY too. You know what I am doing. We got MS exchange servers and they come with microsoft outlook web access and the ability to host websites via : inetpub/webroot....
I made some folders for users and then some html for files and thats how we host the files. Through a website that requires user verification to access them. Since its an ip addy and not a domain hackers wont really target it.