Remote Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayaprayer

In Runtime
I'm trying to setup remote access to one of my desktop PC's. I'd like to be able to access it from work as well from my other home PC. I was trying to follow this guide since it seemed the easiest. http://www.yourwar.net/?page_id=6

I just can't seem to connect. I'm behind a router. I assume this is my problem. How do I get around this?

vnc uses port 5900 by default for your first connection. forward this port to your private ip. the config should be done in the router. there's a port forward guide stickyed in this forum

I setup up port forwarding now and I'm still getting the same error. Failed to connect. Any ideas? Is it the program I'm using?

you wont be able to connect from your home network by using your public ip address. You will have to test from a remote location.

Well I gave my PC a static IP. Then I set up router for port forwarding. I just used the guide in the sticky. I installed VNC server on my desktop PC and then I put the viewer on my laptop. Entered in my info and tried to connect and got fail to connect message.

my isp doesn't allow me to use port 5900, much less 21 for ftp or 80 for http, try using something like 54321, or something else with 5 digits, usually always works for me. you also may have to wait a while before it works, and yes you can use the local loop(using your public ip address from inside your lan) always worked for me. It's practically like using a loopback cable.

I tried different ports and still nothing. Perhaps I need to start from the begining to set this up right.

is your windows firewall turned off? and can you connect to it using the LAN Private IP Address?

Nope I couldn't connect using the Private IP either. So I tried remote desktop and that seems to work. I thought Media Center edition was like Home so I didn't think it had remote desktop that's why I tried VNC. Is there a way to use remote desktop over the web? Or does it only work on LAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom