Registering a static ip address

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroShade

In Runtime
When I set my computer to have a static ip address... do I have to register my address with my DNS?

Registering an ip address would cost money. Quite a bit of money I think too.

Why don't you just set a dynamic ip? If you're connected to a router it should have DHCP sever capabilites. It'll assign your pc an address which should work fine.

well there are many reason you might not want a dynamic local IP, port forwarding for one. But anyway, as Bruce says a local (LAN) static IP is on your network, not the internet. So the only person to register it with is yourself, and the only person to pay is yourself ;)
However if you mean a static WAN IP, then yes, you'll need to pay your ISP for that service. Alternatively you could settle for a host name which you can get for free (yes you can tie a host name to a dynamic IP). DynDNS Free Dynamic DNS (DDNS) Service

Oh, he meant on his local network :)
the only problem you might find with that is usually just setting any ip on the network will kill your internet. So if you still want connectivity, choose an ip in your routers address scheme.

I think setting up a host name with my dynamic IP might be the best approach. I want to connect to my system remotely... host name should do the trick. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom