Redundancy Error on RAID 5 Partiton setup through Windows 2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdcoker

Beta member
I inherited a server that was configured with Windows 2000 RAID through Disk Management and just got Redundancy Errors showing up on the RAID 5 Partion over three physical disks. Does anyone know of a disk utility that I can use to repare this safely? I also have the drive space problem. I want to move the SQL database to another partition to free up the system partition. Is there a way to extend the RAID 5 set adding the unpartitioned space from Disk 3? The setup is as follows:

Disk 0 C: 7.84GB (System and Boot Partition Mirrored)
780mb free
Disk 0 D: 9.8GB (Data) Redundancy Error RAID 5 1.8GB Free
Disk 1 C: 7.84GB (System and Boot Partition Mirrored) Healthy
Disk 1 D: 9.8GB (Data) Redundancy Error RAID 5
Disk 2 E: 7.84GB Page File Disk 2 D: 9.8GB (Data) Redundancy Error RAID 5
Disk 3 Q: 7.84GB Data Disk 3 9.8GB unpartitioned

First of all, before you try anything else, back up your data (domain controllers and SQL DB)

Unfortunately when your RAID configuration itself starts to give errors... things get complicated, if a drive were to die, who cares, pop in a new one and the RAID will repopulate the data.... BUT in this case the controller seems to be having issues, which is never a good thing.

Also, if you are just using the disk administrator utility that comes with W2k, that is limited to the way you can manipulate the data contained on setup array.

What you could do is go to the manufacturers website and look for their version of the array manager. Usually it has richer utilities that can allow you to manipulate the partitioned data to your desire.

Let us know what happens...good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom