Redirected USB Printer won't print, Networked Printers Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

genistas

Baseband Member
Hi,

When we replaced our 2003 server with the 2008 server, our local USB HP Laserjet 1020 became unusable over the remote desktop session. Even thought the printer was still being redicted, any attemps to print would produce an error message to the effect of "This document failed to print." However, all of the networked printers that we tried redirecting printed perfectly. Since HP does not list server 2008 drivers for this model, I assumed that perhaps this printer was too old, so I swapped it with a brand new Laserjet p1102w, also via USB. However, we still receive the exact same error message. Reloading the pc from scratch with Windows 7 also did not fix the problem. Any idea why USB printers are being redirected but won't print? Thanks for your help!

Nitestick is right now - we need to know if this happens when using a locally logged in account instead of an RDP session.

When I login in locally to the client computer (win7) I am able to print to the USB Laserjet attached directly to that computer. Then I login to the 2008 Server via an RDP session, using an admin account on the remote domain. I'm still able to print locally, but when I attemp to print to the redirected printer from within the Remote session, it gives me the error message.

Strangely I can go into printer properties on the remote desktop session and perform maintenance utilities (cleaning, etc...) and it will actually communicate with the printer and perform the cleaning, but it simply won't print.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom