Recommendations for home router

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hi All, I'm moving out into my first apartment come September. I've been looking at different wireless router options and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations they could suggest. Asus seems to be a popular brand so I've been checking out their different models, but I'd definitely like to hear any suggestions! I know some routers offer more customization features and options than others - I'd definitely be interested in those type of options, as well. As always, I sincerely appreciate the help and recommendations!

Bought the Asus RT-N66u a couple months ago and I love it.

Heard good things about the Netgear Nighthawk as well.

All depends on what exactly you want to do with it. Not really sane to buy the most expensive thing if you're only gonna hook up say your phone to the wireless portion.

Asus seems to be a popular brand so I've been checking out their different models, but I'd definitely like to hear any suggestions!

I know some routers offer more customization features and options than others - I'd definitely be interested in those type of options, as well.

I think the OP stated what they were looking for....There's also an old adage that you get what you pay for

What they are looking for and the actual application is totally different. Why spend 300 bucks on an AC router if say you're only gonna hook your PC to the ethernet and your slow wireless N phone to the wireless portion?

The router will be used to hook up 3-4 computers (with 1 being wired in), and will also be used for 2 gaming consoles (xbox & wii), Roku, AppleTV, 2 tablets and 2 phones. I've seen some routers offer the ability to prioritize traffic and offer built in VPNs; those would both be functions I'd be looking for. Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Most decent routers do that, but not efficiently unfortunately. If you're not under any kind of real budget have you thought about getting a nice small managed switch and an enterprise wireless access point? I know it sounds overkill, but I'm sure any network buff here will back me up when saying that kind of setup is better and more manageable than any consumer router junk.

Back
Top Bottom