REALLY SLOW Wireless...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millenniumtiger

In Runtime
So staying here at my grandparents house and their wireless is REALLY slow. The Internet Service is 6mbps download and the desktop which is wired gets 5.8mbps which is fine. Pages all load as they should....

If I'm in the same room as the router on my laptop, and get a max of 3mbps. The internet is even worse no matter what browser I use and is like DIAL-UP.

The router is a Linksys WRT54G and the modem is just a basic one the ISP gave....

What can I do?

So staying here at my grandparents house and their wireless is REALLY slow. The Internet Service is 6mbps download and the desktop which is wired gets 5.8mbps which is fine. Pages all load as they should....

If I'm in the same room as the router on my laptop, and get a max of 3mbps. The internet is even worse no matter what browser I use and is like DIAL-UP.

The router is a Linksys WRT54G and the modem is just a basic one the ISP gave....

What can I do?

You need to understand that a wire isnt throwing radio waves through air and walls which weakens the signal and wires are only limited by their length and or being near powerlines (EMI) and machine load on that wire.

I understand all of that, but back home, where my wireless speeds are just a little higher, the internet is pretty much instant loading pages....

The only thing that I can think of is that the power line is right by the back fence maybe 15 feet away....but there aren't any walls between me and the router. Walls actually make very little difference.

I understand all of that, but back home, where my wireless speeds are just a little higher, the internet is pretty much instant loading pages....

The only thing that I can think of is that the power line is right by the back fence maybe 15 feet away....but there aren't any walls between me and the router. Walls actually make very little difference.

Wireless is not a perfect system, just because you sit right in front of the router doesn't mean you get wired connection speeds, you can get close.

You might try changing the channel on your router, if you can see your neighbors wireless connections then they could all be using a default channel which could interfere with your speed.

As for the power lines behind your fence, if they are not high-tension then I doubt it has ANYTHING to do with your issue.

As for your comment, DIAL-UP is 56kbps (or 14.4, or worse), it cant be like dial up if the speed is measured in mbps, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom