really slow notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jae

In Runtime
my dad's sony vaio notebook has been acting up lately. it's a pretty old model(it has a radeon 7000,2.4ghz p4,512mb pc2100). well the internet and other stuff are really slow on it. it still has 6gb left on the hd. i think maybe the cpu is wearing out or the pc card is getting old. whatever it is, my dad's ****ed. any suggestions to a solution?

go to start, run, type msconfig, go to startup, click disable all, recheck your antivirus and reboot

BAckup it up and format the thing and reistall the OS. It is quicker to do and will speed it up. Make sure that you have drivers for the ethernet adapter or the wireless whichever you use. Its a real drag to get those drivers if windows doesnt autodetect them.
As far as teh CPU wearing out, they dont wear out, they work until they break and then they dont work anymore.

by reboot, you mean to restart? sorry i'm laxking in my computer terminology skills. lol.
and also, how do i backup the programs? my dad has A LOT of prgrams such as photoshop programs installed. how do i back upp the prograMS, format, and reinstall the os? sorry, i'm very uneducated on computers

backing up everthing and formating is such a ( Geek Squad ) thing to do .

Try www.ewido.com www.lavasoft.com for spyware scanners, run them see if you find anything..

How much space is on the hard drive maybe its full and u need to do some spring cleaning.

if that still doesnt fix the issue, try a program u can find on www.download.com called ccleaner , that will remove all temp files and clean up your registry.

if all else fails then you might be inclined to format and reinstall the OS/Drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom