Read permission isn't good enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

krobotz

Beta member
Setting a file or folder to Read doesn't prevent someone from right clicking the file on a server location and pasting onto the desktop of a user. From there, a user can save, open, edit - in other words, do a lot more than just read a file. I'm looking into third party software for installation on a server to stop copying. The simplest is to defeat the Windows Tools (with copy, paste, etc) from opening. More on this later.

There is not going to be a way. Even if they cant right click, what prevent them from highlighting all the text and putting it in a text editor? There is nothing that can prevent that. What is to stop them from using such tools as Print Screen and just typing it out manually? That is just the 2 ways that any user with any bit of knowledge can start to steal any work posted on the internet.

It isnt called the public domain for nothing. If you dont want the world to see this stuff or steal it then dont put it in the public domain. Make users register and agree not to share or steal your work and if they do, they can be held accountable by way of a lawsuit.

Aside from that there is no way to stop anyone from taking anything from the web. I can take pictures as well as words with no more effort than a few clicks.

Thanks for the input. The focus of the thread is more about using NTFS folder / file permissions on SBS 2003 to restrict access. The Read permission in NTFS sounds good but doesn't prevent someone from drag and drop or copy and paste to a desktop providing full access after. If there is a solution to place on user systems or the server to truly restrict a server-based file to Read only, great. As far as print screen or photographing the screen - sure but it makes it a lot more difficult and less likely to copy.

Not really. I mean with tools like the Snipping Tool built into Win7 now it is very simple to grab a part of the screen you want. I can grab a specific section or the whole document with just a simple drag of the mouse. I dont see how that would be more difficult? It is just as easy as right clicking and selecting Save As or even coping/pasting into a Text Document.

The only real way to restrict access is via GPO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom