Random disconnects

In my honest opinion sounds like faulty cabling. You said the router plugs into the wall? How old is your house? Old houses tend to have some cabling issues. Consider replacing the Coax that sits between the wall port and the modem(not sure if this will help, as i suspect its the wire running through the walls to the outside). I would try to trace the exact path from the wall port to the box they have sitting outside(usually gray and attatched to your wall) and make sure the cable wasn't chewed on by some rat or something. If that isn't the issue. Replace the Modem, it's faulty.

Edit:
MAke sure the cable doesn't run by anything that could create Line noise(electromagnet stuff, Florescent lights, etc). If the line runs by something that can create noise frequent disconnects would occur as much as you say.

Of course it affects your wifi, the modem is disconnecting, meaning you lose connections.
Do the lights on the modem indicate its disconnected when it is?

nope, the lights don't change what so ever, its a almost brand new router and nothing near it, it was doing fine till the other day. and as for how old the house is, its 100 years old next year, we run at&t and it runs through the phone line, not a cable line.

IT also affects my Mothers phone wich uses wifi

Sure. When you renew your public IP it effects the router and all the devices connected to it. Seeing that your mother's phone disconnects as well, try leaving the PC off for a while and check if the phone disconnects again. Check if the IP changes too.

Also, if you're using a phone/adsl splitter, take that out and plug the cable directly into the wall (if it's possible).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom