RAID1 with server 2k3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ex291

Beta member
Hi all,
fairly new at this but eager to learn....

I have setup my own little network at home. Server 2003 with 5 pc (winXP & win7) but something is bugging me.
Did I do my raid wrong???
I have setup my server 2k3 on a 80gb, in the same tower I have added a couple of terabytes hard drives that I have setup in raid1 (software).
My question is, if my 2k3 ever fails, will I be able to still access my data on the raid or will I be screwed. If yes, I can I fix that and prevent this.
I'm starting to think that my server2k3 should had been on the same hard drives that are setup
as raid !!! Would it be better to you use (add) a pci raid controller instead?
thank you so much for helping me understand this bettter.... :angel:

typically ppl will mirror their OS drive and setup raid5 for user data.

if the 80 gb is not in a raid array, then its not being protected. To me, it sounds like your only protecting your user data. You could lose your OS config, program files, etc.

edit - http://www.adaptec.com/pdfs/raid_soft_v_hard.pdf

edit2 - Software vs. hardware RAID: Tips on striping, mirroring, and striping with parity

Finally, let's address the issue of software vs. hardware RAID. As one member pointed out, software RAID is like playing with fire. If you have a server hiccup, you could have some data loss issues. However, even though RAID hardware has come down in price, it's still not always feasible for organizations to incur the additional expense, or perhaps you're using older servers that don't have RAID hardware. In these cases, if you want to further protect your data, use software RAID. It's definitely better than having no RAID at all! And, Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003's handling of these kinds of scenarios is really pretty good, though not as reliable as a hardware solution.

typically ppl will mirror their OS drive and setup raid5 for user data.

if the 80 gb is not in a raid array, then its not being protected. To me, it sounds like your only protecting your user data. You could lose your OS config, program files, etc.

edit - http://www.adaptec.com/pdfs/raid_soft_v_hard.pdf

I can live with the 2k3 not being protected.. (it sucks but I should have thought about but I added these extra after so...) I just don't want to lose my other stuf..i'm just concerned since the raid was activated from the 2k3.. if this one fails.. how would the raid react...
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom