Quick networking question (1 router, 2 CPUs, 3 NICs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncletoshie

Beta member
Okay, I have a psuedo-complicated networking situation, and I wanted to know if there's anything else I should consider when trying to create this LAN. I'm willing to do the research, I just need some help in finding out what exactly I need to research.

CPU: Windows XP Pro, AMD Processor
Laptop: Windows XP Home, AMD Processor

I want to share an internet connection with a laptop in my room. The problem is, the router is in the living room. I already have an 80' ethernet cable running into my room; I don't want to get another just so I can connect this laptop to the router.

What I want to do is create another little network with my desktop as the internet portal. I have two NICs in my desktop, one connected to the living room router, and the other connected to this laptop (via crossover cable).

Now, with the router mucking things up, I'm having issues getting Windows to set this up automatically; the router currently owns the 192.168.0.1 IP address.

What sort of networking solution should I be looking for here? I don't even know the terminology to use in a google search.

EDIT: I apologize, I just checked the forum and found a similar topic. Although I would appreciate further input, I'm going to go research ways to setup ICS. I'd like to avoid the necessity of buying a switch (mostly because I'd like to learn how to do this).

just so you know, ICS is crap. it's a total pile of garbage and should only be used when you can't for what ever reason obtain either a wireless router or a wired one. Avoid using ICS if you can. it's slow and doens't perform anywhere near to what a hardware solution can.
your situation is ideal for a wireless solution. it's easy to setup and runs great.

hope you will reconsider a hardware solution of the ICS one...

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom