Questions about dual wireless router setup

zvarri

Beta member
Hey I'm not sure exactly which forum this was supposed to go in but I think this is the closest.

So to set the scene, a family member likes to play the Xbox 360 all day every day in the main room with the biggest TV. Obviously this isn't okay with everyone in the house, so we want to put the 360 in his room. Which is two levels away from where the router is, and the old 360 Wireless Adapters are iffy and upwards of $100, and I'm not down with wiring through the walls or snaking a 300 ft ethernet cable all the way through my house.

So the plan I came up with was to pick him up a cheap wireless router (namely this one) and put it in his room, and link it up with the main router (this one, if it helps) since it says on the first one's ask page directions for using it as a Wi-Fi extender. From there I'd hook the second router up just to the wall and the 360, allowing him to use the internet off the main router in his room.

I should note that there's no second computer involved in this plan, which is what I'm most worried about.

Does this make sense and would it work before I get involved in setting this up, or is there an easier way to go about this that I'm missing? I could hypothetically replace the Linksys with another TP-Link since the Linksys is getting up there anyway if that would make it easier.

You could also look into powerline adapters, that way he could have a wired connection.

Back
Top Bottom