Question for Sysadmins-Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultra Steel

Baseband Member
I probably know this one, but does anyone know of a way I can work with and manipulate my AD without actually effecting changes?

There are a few things I'd like to experiment with, but I don't want to actually mess with real accounts, and so on.

We've saved the MMC to the server's desktop, and I've copied that, and then made the link read-only, but I'm not convinced that will work. Anybody know of a way I can practice with AD without bringing down my enterprise?

Thanks in advance...

We have a test lab that consists of one server and 3 clients in our "IT cave". We use it to test changes that are going to be made to the network. Its very easy to set up a test lab if you have 2+ spare computers.

We have a test lab that consists of one server and 3 clients in our "IT cave". We use it to test changes that are going to be made to the network. Its very easy to set up a test lab if you have 2+ spare computers.

If you have the resources and time then do this ^. What I usually do at work though is just make a test account to test what we're trying to do just because it's easier.

I use VMware. What exactly do you want to practice? You may be able to get away with certain setting that only applies to a test user you created but certain things can't be done without affecting the computer and domain so you are somewhat limited in what you want to do fully.

VMware is a great tool and your company should have it, helps test things before rolling it out into production. Can also save a lot money for companies without buying additional hardware and just run their network services on VMware.

You can get VMware for free, I think it's VMware server or something like that.

Thanks all.

I can't do a "test server" setup, but I can do the practice user thing. The problem with the MMC is its always real- once you're in it with your snap-in, you're actually manipulating the guts of your server.

I wanted to test how long it took replication to spread throughout the domain. I also wanted to experiment with granting specific rights, which I can do with a fake account.

Thanks all.

The mmc - ADUC is just an interface to cotrol your AD. The actual link to this you use only controls the appearance of the interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom