question on my wireless LAN card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I want to connect my PC to wireless internet, so I bought a SWEEX wireless LAN PCI card (300 MBPS).
It has like two antennas on the back that will be sticking out, I guess (haven't installed yet).

Do all wireless cards have antennas? Or are there also wireless cards that have nothing sticking out (either no antennas or antennas that will stay in side the PC case) ?

All wireless cards have an antenna (or two). For laptops that antenna is usually behind the screen, for pc's it's in the form of an external antenna. Internal antennas are a problem because the signals received/transmitted by the antenna are degraded and/or blocked by the pc chassis.

If it's because of a space issue that you want everything to be internal, you shouldn't worry too much. If you get a dipole antenna (which you probably have) you can adjust the angle and direction the antenna points.

All wireless cards have an antenna (or two). For laptops that antenna is usually behind the screen, for pc's it's in the form of an external antenna. Internal antennas are a problem because the signals received/transmitted by the antenna are degraded and/or blocked by the pc chassis.

If it's because of a space issue that you want everything to be internal, you shouldn't worry too much. If you get a dipole antenna (which you probably have) you can adjust the angle and direction the antenna points.

thanks !

Well, it's not so much a space issue I have, but I was just wondering if there is other options.
My PC is facing back to the wall so maybe that could be a problem for the antenna?
I gotta install it tomorrow and see how it works.
I don't even know how to configure the network (my g/f has a wireless router that I would need to use).

If the computer is so close to the wall that the antenna gets in the way, lack of air flow is a more serious concern. You need space around the computer to avoid heat issues.

You're going to need to know a few things about the wireless network in order to connect to it such as the SSID of the router and what type of encryption is enabled along with the necessary key to enter on your system to connect.

As long as the router isn't too far away it shouldn't be a problem.
Oh, and if you've got space for two antennas, align one pointing straight up and the other pointing out sideways. Helps to maximize your signal strength/quality.

If the computer is so close to the wall that the antenna gets in the way, lack of air flow is a more serious concern. You need space around the computer to avoid heat issues.

You're going to need to know a few things about the wireless network in order to connect to it such as the SSID of the router and what type of encryption is enabled along with the necessary key to enter on your system to connect.

Thanks ! Yes, I figured that space for the air is more important. Now there is space on all those sides where there is a fan.
ONe of the side-fans has about 4 inches of space and the back is about 5 inches away from the wall. Would that be ok?
I have had it like this since I built this PC (about one month ago or so), had no problems so far.

I will do some research about the wireless network thnigs you mentioned. Thanks again!

As long as the router isn't too far away it shouldn't be a problem.
Oh, and if you've got space for two antennas, align one pointing straight up and the other pointing out sideways. Helps to maximize your signal strength/quality.

Cool! Thanks a lot !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom