Question on LAN wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwordsmanKaz

Solid State Member
I have 2 computers at home, but they are on separate rooms. and i want them to be on a network to share the internet connection, so i decided to put a crossover cable .

then i saw the keystone jacks, and want to know if i can use them in the main cable and then make two little cables to put form the pcs to the keystone jacks and still work,

what conf. shd i use in the keystone jacks and what config. for the cables that will conect the keysotnes and the pcs.

i hope u guys can help me, thanks in advance!

what are these keystone jacks you speak of? where are they located?

You have two options when deciding what type of setup you want to provide inet access to these two pcs.

You can buy a router to serve inet access to the pcs. Advantages to this setup is that the router is an always on device so no worries about is the inet host on and connected? and this setup is easily expandable for when you buy more pcs that need inet access.

You can implement ICS. One pc will be setup for inet access. This host pc will need two nics, if connecting to broadband inet, one for the modem and another for lan access. Your clients will connect to the host pc for inet access. Disadvantages The host pc must be turned on and connected to be able to serve inet access and you must buy a hub/switch for expandability.

ah thanks for ur comments
also was thinking this, what about wiFi wireless connection
maybe thats a lot easier, cos my laptop has wireless card and i think the router i got for the inet connection is prepared for wirless also.

the only thing is that im not quite sure how to set up on my other comp. cos the first time i didnt do it, i had to pay for some1 who did it in less than 10 mins. so i think its easy, but if u guys can give me some hints i would really appreciate it!!

thanks a lot for ur replies!

you should be able to connect the other pc to the router using a straight/patch cable. config should be simple, set tcp/ip to pull addresses from dhcp and tell IE to never dial out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom