Question about wireless routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bx0520

Beta member
I am finally looking forward to completely scrapping my old P3 and getting a new computer this boxing day. I also want to get a wireless router along with it. I don't have much knowledge in this area so I thought, why not consulting the expertise of the online forum?

So here's what I want to know: is there a specific brand or type of wireless router that I would have to use to be compatible with my new system or would any of them that I pick off the shelf do?

PC: HP Pavilion m8120n Media Center TV Desktop

All it says on the specifications page is "Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g". And I read from another site that its supposed to be 54Mbps. :confused:

So please help me out by telling me if there's a specific router to use, I want to just get one that works. Thanks in advance. :happy:

Welcome to T.F.

Buying a wireless router can be quite a challenge. Luckily, it's actually pretty simple when you get down to it. Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g is the wireless standard for both wireless b and wireless g, which has a max transfer rate of 11mbps and 54mbps respectively. Now-a-days, most people use wireless g because it has just become the standard. But most routers today do support both wireless b and wireless g.

Where will you be buying the router? Newegg I suppose.
If so, then I recommend getting one of these: Newegg.com - LINKSYS WRT54GL IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Retail
What kind of internet connection do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom