Question about up linking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I have a StLabs 8x Port 10/100 Switch and a NetGear DG814 Switch/Router/DSL Modem.

There is 3 computers users (including myself) in this house. Each of the users have a direct CAT5E Cable connection to the Router. And any extra computers that people have are connected via the 8 Port Switch. This 8xPort Switch is connected to the NetGear DG814.

Since we are too cheap @$$ed to go Wireless, we are looking at setting up a few cable around the house.
- 3 Cables in the End Living Room were I might have some freinds LANing or surfing the internet while watching DVDs.
- At least 1 extra cable going into each of the bed rooms as most of us have at least one extra (working) computer.
- and we have a few spare just incase we need any thing more.

Now here is my question.
- Connect to the internet via the 8x PORT SWITCH. Will the uplink slow the internet connection down if all the computers that are connected via the 8x PORT SWITCH start to leech off the internet at the same time? After all, all the computers connected to the DG814 are directly connect to the internet. Meanwhile, all the traffic via the 8x Port Switch needs to go pass the uplink.

Ok... I take it that this is all 10/100 base-TX networking that you're dealing with. Your switch and router are also likely 10/100, so when you're strictly dealing with bandwidth between computers on the network, no this will not slow down overally performance. However, as with everything internet related, the more congestion you have (i.e. more people using the same connection) the slower your individual connection will be. This is due to your internet connection thus the LAN you have set up will not be the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom