A question about those cheap hispeed internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

pezzang

Beta member
I have a link right here:

http://www.comparenow.net/default.asp

and it's the list of the cheapest internet services (both dialup and hispeed) and i was wondeirng how you call call a dialup serivice with speed-improving program a "high speed internet." is this a hoax or does this dialup with those accelerators as such companies (esp. the cheapest ones such as copper hispeed and netzero hispeed) REALLY work like the cable modem broadband hispeed. i just don't want to be fooled by the cheap price and sign up for a year trial. Please let me know how these usual dial-up with funky accelerator work and if it is indeed as fast as the usual cable modem broadband hispeed. fellas, i really appreciate your help. thanx a lot and have a good day.

PS: also, can somebody recommend me the brand of cheap and very nice hispeed internet that i could use in long island (manhasset)? or which one do u think is the most worthy of buying from the list that i pasted at the beginning. Thanks alot!!

The easiest answer to this is absolutely no dial-up connection will ever be as fast as broadband cable... The only reason there is "hi speed" dialup internet is because the companies create compression techniques that compress the data at their end, then send it to your end over a regular dialup connection, then the accelerator software on your PC decompresses it.

So basically the internet company is re-compressing the data, and the accelerator is decompressing it when you receive it.

It really isn't much faster than regular dial-up no matter which company you choose.

EDIT: As for which provider I'd recommend, go with the company that has the best customer service... Because to be honest, you probably won't notice a huge speed difference between them. Another thing to consider is the software that the company requires you to install to take advantage of the "high speed" dialup connection.

Yes, its a hoax. You have to read the fine print. The only way its going to be any faster at all than regular dialup is if you compress the images to the point where they look like crap. Believe me, when I was on dialup I had NetZero and NetZero highspeed, and there wasn't much of a difference after the upgrade to highspeed if I left the images at decent quality. The fine print for NetZero actually says that "Data throughput is no faster using NetZero HiSpeed 3G than it is using standard dialup service." That totally contradicts the company's marketting claim that the speed is so fast that you wont be able to tell the difference from broadband. Quite rediculous if you ask me. The sad thing is people are buying into this high speed dialup thing and its slowing the migration to broadband in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom