Question about making my modem a pass-through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I use BellSouth/AT&T DSL. My modem is a Westell, but I don't remember the model offhand (at work, but it may be 6600). Anyway, the modem is also a router but with only one outlet o.0. I have a Linksys WRT54G that I use to connect three desktops to the router.

With the Westell acting as a router, and another router behind it, my speed takes a definite hit... especially when downloading. If I hit 100+ I am taickles to death (I have a 1.5 connection, 1.3 practical). I can find instructions online to set up my modem in pass-through mode so that it only acts as a modem.

My question is would I have to make changes to the setup of my Linksys? It is currently set up as 192.168.2.1 which screws up trying to port forward. Would I have to change the IP of the router? I'm sort of in the dark on this one.

Once I get this sorted out, I'll work on getting all three computers to see one another. ;)

Make a mspaint picture of what it looks like now. Can't you just connect modem and router, turn off DHCP on the modem, and you're set?

Don't worry, I have experience here. I've connected a router/modem to a router before and it works great.

Right now it sounds as if your Linksys 54G is just getting it's external IP address from the Westell. Once the Westell is setup as a pass-through device the Linksys will just be getting it's external IP address from the ISP instead (the modem portion). So, you may just have to reboot everything (Modem, Router, Computer) as you would in a typical situation when you need to reset everything. But, after you reboot the 2 devices, the Linksys 54G (if setup to automatically obtain an external IP) should pick up the IP just fine. As for the internal IP or forwarding settings, you shouldn't need to change anything there. This should be fairly straight-forward.

I don't know when I will get the chance to try it out, but it sounds good. I'm headed to a co-worker's place to work on his computer tonight, and then homework. Wed. is teaching the teens, Thurs. is a class, maybe Fri. I just can't screw it up too bad, as I have to use the internet to attend college. :D

Maybe tonight if it doesn't take too long at dude's house. Either way, I'll post back how it goes.

@ Peter, no need for a pic. Phone line in to moden, ethernet out to router, three ethernet out to the desktops. I don't have the wireless turned on, as I am not using any wireless devices and don't want anyone using my signal. It just gripes me that the modem isn't just a regualr modem. >.<

Just remember you will need to configure the linksys with your pppoe info.

He's referring to the account info that you need to enter for your DSL access. The 54G has a page for this. Should be in the general setup. Been a while since I've seen a 54G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom