Question about Internet options...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuscaloosa Strong

Beta member
I recently moved to an area where cable internet is not available. I looked into a few other options, such as satellite, but chose to avoid them due to the high price and the limit they place on monthly or daily usage.

As of now I am using my smart phone to tether to my laptop. It is serviceable, but I am still looking for a better option. The speed isn't ideal and I have heard of some people who use a tether eventually having problems with their carriers, so if anyone knows of a better method for high speed internet I would love to hear about it.

Do I have any options that are comparable to cable internet? I would love to find something that would allow for watching videos online at a higher speed, gaming, etc... My cell signal is great here and I have no problem getting a 3G signal, so is there something I can do through (Verizon) my cell provider, like setting up some sort of wifi hotspot? I really have no idea how any of that works.

I'm just looking for something that is a bit faster and doesn't have any sort of usage limit. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Have you looked into getting a connect card? Speeds aren't awesome but much better than tethering. One big downside is cost and you usually have a monthly amount.

By connect card, I think you mean an aircard or cellular broadband card. I've used aircards and tethering and the speeds are the same as they both use the same cellular network (results may vary depending on which cell carrier you use).

I live in an area where there is no dsl or cable available. I have tried satellite and cellular and have been disappointed with them for various reasons.

Currently I have what is known as "fixed wireless" which is essentially long range wifi which uses an antenna similar to a satellite dish but instead of pointing to the sky it is pointed to the provider's antenna on top of a mountain or other vantage point. This works very reliably. The drawback is that it is expensive. Monthly cost of $160 for a 1.5M connection. Fortunately for me, my employer pays for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom