Question about cat5 cables and internet provider/ other.

ImTorey

Banned
I have a few questions, My parents recently bought a new house and I want everything to have a wired connection basically were getting direct tv and then cox cable internet and it already has two seperate lines the one for the internet comes into a main control panel which has all the cat5e cable wiring from the each individual rooms.

What I need to know is a few things.

1st the cat5e cables as of now are hooked up to a small circuit board which im thinking is only for phone lines, not for data transfering or hooking up the cable internet through them. What I want to do is cut the wires and re cap them and just install my modem and router near that control panel and just have each room individualy connected to the router seeing as we do not use home phone nor ever will. Im wondering if the cox isp will cap the cat5e cables with rj45's for me when they come to install the internet or do they not do this? I'm sure i can do this myself but do not have the caps and dont think my dad trusts i know what I am doing sadly.

Chances are that "control" panel is a patch panel, meant to hook upto a switch which hooks upto a router. Newer homes that are pre-wired are setup so a user only has to buy a quality switch, use short 2-3 foot patch cables, and plug into the patch panel, then plug the switch into the switch built into your router. But to make sure, can you post a picture of this "control panel" front and back side?

Ugh trying to upload a picture right now using mobile tethering but it gets to 100% and just stops =/

Got it here

The small grey cable to the right is a phone cord which plugs into a cable internet / phone modem (not going to use) the thick grey cord to the left is the coaxil cable that will go into my modem for internet. I want to either make all the cat5e cables into plugs or put the inserts or w.e on them so i can plug another ethernet cable into that will hook into my router.
Resampled952012_06_249522_43_0095600.jpg

That's your phone system, guess someone used Cat5 for it? :-\

Hope another member comes along and gives you suggestions. The installer won't normally terminate the ends at all for networking purposes, he is only supposed to install the cable/dsl feed, and modem, extra costs extra typically... Removing those cables, will result in the loss of a phone line somewhere... You need to get specialty equipment to find where the cables go, though, they are labeled... Maybe the jacks are also labeled... :-\ Does the house not have a patch panel somewhere?

BTW, Cat5 was also meant for phone systems, hence the blue pair if I remember right, the installer probably had a roll of Cat5 that was cheaper than a single pair roll when he went out to buy the rolls. Cuts down on costs and clutter when an installer only has one very large bulk box of Cat5.

Humor me though, do you have around 6 phone jacks in the house? I bet it you pulled the panel you will have a number on the cable that will match one in that panel. If this is the case, your gonna be going wireless, or spend a long time running Cat5 for the internet.

As I stated before we dont use normal phones, all cell phones and we never will so it dont matter, so cant i just get rid of the phone circuit board and put plugs on the cat5e cables? Alot easier then rewiring. and yeah it tells me on the door of that panel where each cable goes to. i mean their just cat5e cables so if i just cut them and put plugs or the jacks on them so i can plug another cat5 cable into it i could just plug them all into my router. just didnt know if the company would do it or not for me.

Yea... You can... Since you don't use the phone system, but the installer will charge for it. But you want the modem and router in your room? Why? That means you need to have 2 feeds of Cat5 to your room... Just have the ends terminated, the RJ11 jacks changed for RJ45 capable jacks, put a small switch in the box, and put the modem out there on a shelf or something with the router.

Also, terminating Cat5e ends are easy to do if you have a crimp tool, punch, and plugs/jacks. The issue comes down to if you do it wrong, that's an inch of cable you loose, and people always screw up their first few cable terminations. But, be aware, a good crimp tool is upwards of $70, and a good punch is around $20, then the jacks and rj45 plugs cost a bit. Can you tell if the other end of the lines is RJ11 or RJ45?

I doubt the cable installer will do anything for you though, you may want to find someone locally that wont charge an arm and a leg, I charge $35 per cable termination like that around here in my area, it's normally $80 per termination around here when an ISP has an installer do network cabling.

That is not in my room that is in the laundry room. I would put my cable modem inside the panel and the router outside on a shelf on the wall. The walls are actually already RJ45 btw except for one which I dont care about in the kitchen that we will never use. Yeah I've never done it before but Im sure ic ould do it myself and I have plenty of cat5 to practice on, i just need to buy a 10 dollar tool and spen dlike probably what 10 bucks on plugs/sleeves. I'd rather do http://www.mrsupply.com/leviton-quickport-and-reg-gigamax-5e-connector-5g108-rw5.html these just because its much simpler and i can just plug another cable into it and i wouldnt waste so much cable if because you can really mess up doing that unless you mess up the striping of the sheathing. It will be a little more money but more worth while i think. The cat5 cables coming into the control panel or w.e has some lee way lik emaybe 6 more inches i can pull out freely without any tension. Guess I will just wait and do it all myself and use wireless until I get some money to buy everything, doubting my dad will pay for it at the moment. Plus doing it all myself would cost me like maybe 30 dollars maximum. the quickport connectors are like 3-4 bucks and a punchdown should be cheaper then a crimper. If i had the option to put the modem in my room i would and just make everyone else use wireless but that is pretty selfish considering its my fathers house and doing this would set the house up for nice filesharing and what not. 5 bedrooms could share files and have easy internet access and the living room downstairs.

Just realizing that the phone cord they are using now is also a cat5e cable so I could just change the kitchen wall outlet to cat5 and have net their also :) Im trying to think of the best situation to hook everything up also though. Pretty much modem to router to devices is the fastest connection for this method i t hink but theire are 6-7 if i change the kitchen into cat5 but i only have 4 ports on my router, doubt all will be used so i dont think it will matter but a switch might be nice just dont want it to slow th enet down at all.

I guess I mis-read about the coax going to the modem?

Do NOT put ANY cable modem in a closed off space, or cramped area, they get HOT, much hotter than a cheap router. Also, a 10/100/1000Mbps switch wont slow anything down, your router tends to have a 10/100 switch build in with only four ports.

Yeah I installed it outside the box on a shelf with my router, can you guys link me to a nice cheapish switch and does it go before or after the router. I have a netgear wnr1000N or something router.
So if my router is 10/100 i can only get 10mb/s to each device? I have 28mb/s internet, this doesnt seem practical.

Back
Top Bottom