Question about cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
As you know, I live out on a farm where there is currently no cable or dsl access. I am thinking about paying a fee for Cox communications to bring out cable access to my area, because this 256kbps fixed wireless is not cutting it for $85 per month. My question is, my potential cable service advertises at 4mbps. Since I live 45 minutes away from the cable company, will I see a great speed reduction like I would see with DSL? Would my service be slower since I'm so far out? If so, how much slower? Would it be worth going to from this fixed wireless for a $500 installation? Tell me anything you know about rural cable access.

Can somebody answer this question? I am thinking about spending much money on this and I don't want to do it if I will be no better off than I am with this 256k fixed wireless.

4Mbps. it should still be faster than ur fixed wireless, even with a distance from the company...and I am not sure it would slow down at all.

Your speed shouldn't be effected from the distance. Information moves at the speed to light, so unless your subscribing to a service 5000 miles away, then you shouldn't see any effect. The cool thing is that if no one else subscribes to the service in the area, you should get full potential from the cable at all times. No peak use drops or anything...
The one down side is that you might get a low priority from the cable company cause there is only 1 or 2 people on the line. so if something happens to your line, you might have to wait longer for service restoration...
my thoughts...

Thanks, that assures me that I will get the full 4mbps. People in my area hardly even have computers. There is one other cox cable subscriber on my road, so peak slowdown shouldn't be a problem. The main problem with getting it to my house is my house is so far off the road, which is why its going to cost so much for installation. Man this will be nice, downloading at 400KB/sec for $40 per month instead of 20 KB/sec for $85.

*sigh* too bad its going to be a couple of months or so before I can get cable. I was pleased with my fixed wireless when they were running it at 1 mbps, but now that they lowered the bandwidth to 256k, it just plain sucks. It feels like dial-up compared to how it was when it was 1mbps.

vance43211 said:
why not go the wired route? it way better than wireless

I am talking about going with Cox cable, although its going to be quite a price tag for installation because they are going to have to run the fiberoptics up my driveway. The money is flowing in again for me so I will be able to save for it. Because this is just rediculous - $85 for 256k. I've asked my ISP to raise the speed again and they gave me the middle finger. I'm telling those b*stards off when I get rid of their service. I would tell them off now, but 256k is better than 19.2k, which is the max I can get on dial-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom