Putting some sort of wireless transmiter at the end of a router lan line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThrowingChicken

Baseband Member
Alright, this might be a weird one but maybe there is a solution.

Currently my home is set up on a D-Link Systems DIR-655 wireless router (D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router)
My office is set up in a garage separated from the main house, about 150 feet away from the router location, and with the distance and the walls a wireless signal is impossible. For my devices that require a lan line; I've been getting internet signal through 200' outdoor grade Cat5 cables, and that works great, but I'm finding that my network needs out here continue to grow, and running more and more cables, while effective until I max out my available lan ports, can be a bit costly and quite a hassle to properly run a wire for each new device. At the moment I have two cables coming out here, one for my network BD player and another for my desktop. I've recently acquired a laptop, so what I would like to do is add some sort of device at the end of the BD player line that transmits a wireless signal for the laptop, but still has a lan port for the BD player. Is there any way to achieve my goals?

Additionally, the wireless signal at the far end of the house is weak, so if it is possible to make a wireless signal at the end of a lan line that is already plugged into a router, then I'd probably want to do the same in that area.

why dont you just run one cable to your garage, then have a switch in your garage, and run cables to that switch? You could also put another router attached to this switch with a cat5e cable that would allow you to have wireless in your garage, for your laptop, or any additional needs.

This is what i mean,

{)))))))}------------------------(___)------------------------------------{))))))}

the --- being cat5e cables the (___) being the switch, and the {)))))} being routers.

so one of those routers is in your house, then a cable runs from that router to the switch that is in your garage. Then you run a cable from one of the ports on the switch to another router that will be in your garage. There would then also be multiple other ports for other computers to be connected to the network via a cat5e cable to the switch.

that switch in the garage will let you run any cables to it, with only one cable being have to run from the house to the garage. The router connected to the switch will give you wireless. So yeah you can have 2.

Defiantly do what Luke is suggesting. A switch in the garage should/will solve you problems. You could even make it a wireless router/hub so you can have a wi-fi signal in the garage and have a wired connection as well.

^wow, i dont know why i was thinking he needed a switch too, if he does not need more ports then that which are on the average router, you could just connect it router to router, and use the built in switch o nthe router for wired connections in the garage.

Yep. but remember you only want one active router per lan. You can have a second router but make sure to turn off dhcp, change the lan ip of it and connect to it via a normal plug not the wan port. Basically you set it up to act as a switch/ap.

nope it will act as a switch. The other router will hand out ip addresses. But it is a great, cheap way to get a wired switch with wireless ap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom