Psp Internet! Dns Error Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea your DNS should point to 192.168.1.1 (which is your router) not 192.168.0.1 which is an absolute different subnet and I would assume no DNS server is on your network with this address.

My suggestion, if you get your IP address from DHCP server on the router, double check that it's not assigning the wrong DNS server. Or better yet, manually do it yourself and instead of using the router as a DNS forwarder, I suggest finding your ISP DNS server and use that instead as I have always recommend to bypass the router to minimize the overhead on it. The ISP DNS IP should be somewhere on your router's WAN log.

Law said:
Yea your DNS should point to 192.168.1.1 (which is your router) not 192.168.0.1 which is an absolute different subnet and I would assume no DNS server is on your network with this address.

My suggestion, if you get your IP address from DHCP server on the router, double check that it's not assigning the wrong DNS server. Or better yet, manually do it yourself and instead of using the router as a DNS forwarder, I suggest finding your ISP DNS server and use that instead as I have always recommend to bypass the router to minimize the overhead on it. The ISP DNS IP should be somewhere on your router's WAN log.

Thanks for helping but im not so good with this type of stuff and i just bought my router and installed it.

This is the information it asks me

IP Adress
Subnet Mask
Default Router
Primary DNS
Secondary DNS

BlackPHat said:
Thanks for helping but im not so good with this type of stuff and i just bought my router and installed it.

This is the information it asks me

IP Adress
Subnet Mask
Default Router
Primary DNS
Secondary DNS

What you want to do, is go to Control Panel>Network Connection. Right click on your local area connection and go to properties. Double click TCP/IP. On the bottom select "Use the following DNS server addresses" and for the preferred dns put in 192.168.1.1 and that should solve your problem.

What I was talking about is that you're not going to put anything in the WAN interface, your just looking for your ISP DNS server. Now I don't know how to navigate through your router but it might be somewhere in the WAN status or WAN log. It's just an IP address of your ISP DNS server. You don't have to do this, the top solution should fix it for you. But what I recommended was to bypass the router.

This is how your computer and router work. First your computer ask to resolve www.google.com, it goes to the router because that's what your DNS is setup to. The router forward www.google.com to your ISP DNS, which in turn goes back to the router and back to your computer with the IP address of www.google.com. So that's how you get around the Internet, basically with home routers.

So wouldn't it be less overhead on the router if your DNS request goes directly to the ISP DNS server? See what I mean here. It's just a suggestion :D

Forgot that your trying to setup your PSP, Put the following for your PSP.

IP Address= 192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask=255.255.255.0
Default Router=192.168.1.1
Primary DNS= 192.168.1.1
Secondary DNS

I thought you were trying to configure the router. But again look for the ISP DNS server if you could and use that instead of 192.168.1.1.

Law said:
Forgot that your trying to setup your PSP, Put the following for your PSP.

IP Address= 192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask=255.255.255.0
Default Router=192.168.1.1
Primary DNS= 192.168.1.1
Secondary DNS

I thought you were trying to configure the router. But again look for the ISP DNS server if you could and use that instead of 192.168.1.1.

Ok I put that on my psp and connection failed.

Why IP 192.168.1.254 Instead of 192.168.1.100?

And I went to my control panel and changed 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1

--> Where can I look for ISP DNS?

BlackPHat said:
Ok I put that on my psp and connection failed.

Why IP 192.168.1.254 Instead of 192.168.1.100?

And I went to my control panel and changed 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1

--> Where can I look for ISP DNS?

192.168.1.254 is unlikely being used by another computer or in the DHCP scope so that's what I suggested but you can use 192.168.1.100 just as long as it's not taken or in the DHCP scope.

Linksys DHCP scope are usually 192.168.1.50 to .100 from what I've seen or it may vary.

Connection failure may not be the result of your IP address entry, because you are doing the right thing entering it manually into your PSP. I think the problem is that you're trying to connect wireless with the PSP to the router? And that's another problem on it's own.

"And I went to my control panel and changed 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1" Than what happen? Did it fix your DNS problem? It should.

"Where can I look for ISP DNS?" I don't know exactly where it is in your router's model, but I used to have a Linksys and it should be somewhere in the WAN status or WAN log. You will have to navigate around. It will be an IP address that is not 192.168.1.1 but rather something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom