Proxy Trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robo

Beta member
Hi all...

Just last week I had to reload teh windows 200 pro OS on my ssytem. Our internet is setup through a proxy server. I have access to the internet and have no problems. In addition, I can also connect to the company network with no problem. The problem I am having is I can no longer connect to MSN messenger, and newsgroups through any news reader, can not get updates to software such as spybot and ad-aware.

I have tried configuring the apps to work through the proxy (even though they worked without it before) but none respond.

When windows reloaded, it did not load a driver for a PCI device on this system. I have been unable to locate the driver or manu. for this device. Could this be my problem?

Everything worked perfectly before the OS re-install.

I am not very literate in networking and external connections, so please forgive my ignorance.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Robo

I don't think this is you're problem, but usually when there's a "PCI Device" in Device Manager, you forgot to install your chipset drivers. If you're running a pentium, they can be found on Intel's website or probably more likely on the manufacturer of the PC's website.

It's also possible that something was put on the proxy while you were reformatting. If that is the case, a firewall was most likely implemented on the proxy server.

Hi Bucking...

I am not sure I understand. Are you saying that the install of the OS on my client machine, placed something on the proxy server? Or are you saying that someone possibly setup a firewall while I was updating my system?

I don't doubt that it is possible, but we have no IT person in our small 15 person office. Everything we do is contracted out. We have one guy that takes care of the minor issues, but beyond that everything is done by a computer store. I guess he is knowledgeable to setup a firewall.

Would the implimentation of a firewall really block everything that used to work? I can understand if it blocked a few apps like MSN messenger etc... but now NOTHING works except the internet and the office network.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm saying that someone possibly setup a firewall while you was updating your system.

----------------------------------------------------------

Depending on it's setup, a firewall could only allow web traffic out. Spybot updates as well as MSN do not use port 80 and are therefore not considered web traffic.

As far as the office network, that probably doesn't use the proxy server. There's probably a server sitting somewhere in the office that you access for your files.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Also you might want to try installing your chipset drivers.

A chipset is something that more or less ties most of the components of the computer together. Not always, but sometimes if Windows can't communicate with you're chipset, it can cause problems.

Again, I would check with either the manufacturer of the computer or the nearest IT person with regards to installing chipset drivers.

I am not sure what exactly is going on here as no one else is having any of the problems I am having. I will try getting the PCI device up and running to see if that alleviates the problems!

Thanks again!

Robo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom