protocols and routing according to reliability and time of packet arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnyjj2

Solid State Member
Hello!

I was asked to make little research about the following topic: "Internet analysis - its protocols, routing according to reliability and time of packet arrival to its destination".

I include with my message what I already found. Can you suggest me any sites or give any hints so that I can extend this research, please? I'm not sure what is important for that person - whether it is about LANs or rather MANs/WANs/GANs - this is why I consider both.

Greetings!

------------

doesn't ensure reliability: IP, UDP
ensures reliability: TCP, SCTP/IP

routing -> three ways of protocols division:
1a) statical routing
1b) dynamical routing: RIP, IGRP, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, IS-IS
RIP protocol sends information about routes in constant periods of time (default: 30 sec) and after each change of network topology.
2a) internat routing protocols (IGP): IGRP/EIGRP, OSPF, RIP, IS-IS
2b) external routing protocols (EGP): EGP, BGP
3a) distance vector routing protocols: RIP, IGRP
3b) link state routing protocols: OSPF, IS-IS/Integrated IS-IS
3c) hybrid routing protocols: EIGRP

RIP: slow time of convergence; routing actualization are broadcasted by default every 30 seconds.
IGRP: routing actualizations are broadcasted after change of network state and by default every 90 seconds.
OSPF: it ensures good scalability, choosing of optimal router and no limits of hops above 15, faster convergence. Destined for networks with 50 routers on their area.

Fast protocol is XTP->HSTP: XTP is protocol of fast data exchange in computer networks. It was invented by Greg Chesson from SGI company. ANSI version of this protocol is HSTP.

Speed according to modem protocols:
V.17 -> 14 400 bps
V.90 -> download: 56 kbit/s, upload: 33.6 kbit/s
DSL technology -> download: 128 kb/s to 50 000 kb/s

Speed in Ethernet (LAN):
concentric cable - 10 Mbit/s
twisted pair/fibre optics - Fast Ethernet (100 Mb/s), Gigabit Ethernet (1 Gb/s)
multimode fibre optics - 10 Gigabit Ethernet

I think you're required to show that you know that the internet isn't just a big magical cloud, that you actually understand the operating principles behind it. So I'd start by describing the basics first, then giving example connections using the principles of those basics.

E.g. This is what the internet is made of, these are the protocols these things use to communicate.
Then give an example, like an FTP connection, and describe how those things work to make that connection.

Thanks for your answer! However - even if it looks like homework - it is not for school or university :) so there is no need at all to describe basic terms.
Greetings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom