A program that installs to other clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakec

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,

I am curious about this issue, is there a program whereby you can have 1 Server/Base client machine that installs an OS or file to all detectetable Network Machines with just one install, so that they don't have to be done Individually. This would be useful when installing an OS

any help appreciated.

Jake

I understand you can achieve this using nortons ghost, it performs some funky network mutilcast installs.
I have seen it done but I am not familiar with the specifics

Well, ghost works extremely well with machines that have similar hardware. Say, for instance, you have a LAN of 100 clients. All of these clients are Dell OptiPlex 170L series. Now, ghost will be an excellent choice after building the OS and other software needs to one of the clients. Then just drill this image to the rest of the LAN via the ghost software. The downfall with Ghost is that it's broadcast oriented. Bascially meaning your networks speed and reliability will be GREATLY reduced for anything running other than Ghost. So, if you plan on doing this to 20+ computers at a time then you should wait until after-hours.

You cannot use 1 ghost image to a computer of different hardware specifications. You will have to have 1 ghost image for EACH different computer/client type and buid.

Windows 2000 and Server 2003 do have RIS (Remote Installation Services). This is great for installing the OS only throughout your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom