Problems Joining a windows 2000 server domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifty_50

Solid State Member
Hi i have active directory setup on the server with a domain name.

When i log in as an administrator on the workstations i cant seem to access the domain on the network, although i can ping to the network address of the server, but when trying to join it keeps saying domain cannot be found, or contacted

Why is it i can ping but cant access the domain? Also i can see the server on the network and access it. What must i do to enable the workstations to access this domain?

Thankyou

OK,how is the network set up?What topology?Are you using a DHCP server?Also did you tie in the DNS server with AD?Usally if it can not find the domain to loin it is a DNS issue.

Try going into your active directory setup and go the "Workstations" OU. Right click on that OU and select NEW>Computer then add the name of the computer of that machine and try to join the domain then.

ifty_50 said:
Hi i have active directory setup on the server with a domain name.

When i log in as an administrator on the workstations i cant seem to access the domain on the network, although i can ping to the network address of the server, but when trying to join it keeps saying domain cannot be found, or contacted

Why is it i can ping but cant access the domain? Also i can see the server on the network and access it. What must i do to enable the workstations to access this domain?

Thankyou

As was said already, this is most likely a DNS issue. It's good to have a DNS server on a DC so you can take advantage of configuring the NS as a "AD intergrated zone"... Not to affend you, but is the computer a member of the domain? I only ask, because you did memtion that it is, if it is, also the other obvious is to make sure your not loggin on locally.

Either way, if your not sure, let us know.

hope this helps,
Adam

ahhh NeoExtreme i think you are right. how do i tie my DNS server with the domain IP of the server?
I think this maybe the problem.

i have named the workstations in users in active directory

What NOS are you using?If windows 2003 server you can just go into configure you server wizard and follow the steps to make it a DNS server.Does your sever have a static IP?If you set that up the on the computer that needs to join the domain go into the TCP/IP properties and enter the DNS server address.

hi i am using windows 2000 server.......what do i do to setup the server to have the static ip DNS entry? I dont wish to install it all over again.....the DNS is set to default at the moment on the server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom