Problems with hanging when connected to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

slicklips

Beta member
Athlon 64 3200+
>Asus k8v Deluxe
>Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LLPT TwinX (2x512MB)
>Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU
>Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB ATA-100 2MB Cache
>Asus CRW-5232AS-Quiet 52X/32X/52X CD-ReWriter
>Asus DRW-0804P 8x DVD±R/±RW Drive
>Radeon 9800xt 256mb
>Soundblaster Audigy 2 patinum zs
>
>AVG Antivirus
>Zone alarm firewall
>Latest drivers for all
>
Hi everyone, im having serious problems with my setup following my installation of broadband through a cable modem, I suffer from pretty regular hangs when using any internet applications or p2p filesharing programs. It seems the more I try to do simultaneously the quicker the hang. When this occurs I can still close windows and such but several programs will be impossible to shut down. (usually the p2p, but not always) It is also impossible to shut down or restart the pc without holding down the power button. Strangely sometimes when I disconnect the network cable the hang will resolve itself almost immediately...does anyone have any ideas on what might be happening here ? Thanks.

It could be a couple of things, the easiest thing to do is to start with a virus sweep on your computer (after properly updating your AV software). Once thats done, you should check your PC for any spyware (If aren't sure what spyware is, just do a search here at the forums). After completing those two tasks, check to see if your software firewall has any updates.

Those three components are vital to a healthy internet connection and solid performance of your PC.

Also (This is a longshot) I've had similar issues before, in my case it was caused by a defficiency in the amperage output from the power supply. I know it sounds weird but I've confirmed this countless times.

Hey thanks for getting back to me, im not sure this is adware or virus related though. I originally installed with PCcillin and ran numerous checks with that, then I heard there might be possible conflict issues with my nic (3com 3c940)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5985

so i uninstalled that and grabbed AVG and Zone alarm both of which I keep up to date. I also run ad-aware, spy bot and hijack this regularly. I've just run a scan with that free trend microsystems virus check and that says im clean too. If you could give me any more information on where to take this after that i'd be really gratefull, thanks again all the advice is really appreciated. :)

i think it might be ur NIC or cables or ur settings makin the bottleneck. USE MACFEE ITS KOOLER THAN ANYOTHER Antivirus software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom