Problems connecting to internet on a LAN computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummerboy789

Beta member
Hello -

I have 3 computers at work tied to a D-link "N" router (has wireless capabilities)- plus an access point that I get internet at another building - which I set that up a month or so ago.

Everything was running beautifully.

But today, one of the computers was having difficulty connecting to the internet.

It says the host or dns server may be down when I try to diagnose. I went to repair my internet connection - but Windows says that is fine and couldn't find a problem with that.

I flushed the DNS and went in to ping google, and I get 40-60 milliseconds to return with a TTL of 50. This continues to ping until I tell it to stop - so I let it run for awhile. But then on occasion it will say, "No response from host, retrying" and it repeats that several times - no set number - and then it reconnects for awhile and then it says no response again.

I tried pinging 8.8.8.8 and the same exact thing happens.

Another computer on this network also was having some issues, although it has been able to access the internet more often than this one.

I tried replacing the ethernet cable but that didn't fix my issue. I don't seem to have any problems with the wireless - what I'm using on this laptop I'm typing on. So it seems like a local area connection (which Windows says the connection is fine).

But I have sporadic and frequent internet problems. My best guess is that information is bottlenecking somehow - maybe the access point is the culprit...but everything had been working great for a month and short of buying wireless cards for each of the computers to get the internet - I don't know if there's something else I could try???

Thanks so much!

try entering the information manually, rather than relying on DHCP.
You should be able to assign specific IP addresses to each machine through the adapter on each machine, it might be having trouble assigning IP addresses. besides the internet, can you share any network resources? also might indicate a DHCP problem.

Sometimes the firewall programs do that .. disable your firewall and test your connection
and make sure there is no more than one firewall program running ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom