problems with broadband, wireless and windows 2000 pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

sno352

Beta member
The host computer is connected to the internet all the time via the motorola SURFboard 4200 usb cable modem. (here are the specs for it http://broadband.motorola.com/noflash/sb4200.html) I am not sure if it is even connected to a network as I don't entirely understand what that is, I am also not sure if it even has wireless capabilities.

However I am for sure that the dell notebook it has wireless capabilities as it has the wireless pci card. I am just not sure how to get the thing going together. The next device is the dell truemobile 1300 wlan mini-pci card which in theroy I believe should be able to pick up a signal, in fact for a period of about 10 seconds last night it did its thing and said wireless network found or something like that and then went away. So I am really stumped any help or advice would be appreciated.

The computer I want to host has no networks set up and I don't know how to create one, nor do I know how to get the computer to send out a signal that the dell notebook can pick up. The computer I want to be the host has I believe an agp wireless antenna on it that received a dsl signal at one time, I do not know if it can send signals out however. I don't even know what to look for to find it in the device manager so if you do and want to know what it is feel free to tell me how and what I am looking for. We are stumped on how to get it all going and I know nothing about networking.

thanks in advance
any help appreciated

I am also stumped at what you are talking about...:confused:

All you said you have is a motoral modem ..cable modem, and some wireless adapter and win2000, so therefore I assume you have cable Internet. The modem has USB and Ethernet port (RJ45). Therefore you can use either one, but the Ethernet port is suggested.

So here's how it goes..you can wired a computer to the modem. So the Win2000 connects to the modem through Ethernet or USB, it gets the IP address automatically. Now check that it can access the Internet before going any further. Now if you have a wireless adapter in it, you can setup an Ad-hoc using ICS to share the Internet. The client computer will use the wireless adapter to connect to the win2000 wireless adapter to access the Internet. Now from your experience this would probably be confusing, but there's a guide setup already here. This is using the router, but it's the same principal if you read carefully and understand it.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=114149

The section is setting up an Ad-hoc network, scroll down until you see it.

OR

You can forget about all that above and simply just get a wireless broadband router like this one for example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122016

And get these Ethernet cable, one for the modem to the router and each for the computers that need wiring, if you're planning to use wireless you don't need it, but it's still a good idea to have at least 1 extra available to configure the router, since most router wireless feature or setting may need to be enable through a wired connection.

It's call a patch cable or straight-through cable. Cat5, Cat5e, or Cat6 (recommended) will work, you can acutally find this at your local computer store like Best Buy or CompUSA, Staples, etc.

An example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812106327

the link for the modem you gave us is for an ethernet/USB cable modem. If you purchase a wireless router, you will be able to connect the Ethernet port of the modem to the WAN port of the router. You can then connect the desktop to the router with a cable, and use your laptop wirelessly.

From what you are describing, your laptop is likely barely picking up a neighboring wireless network... Perhaps a neighbor has a wireless router, and their network is barely within range, to the point where sometimes it is very very weak, sometimes it isn't there.

I am a little bit confused by the terminology used in your last paragraph.... AGP is Advanced Graphics Port, for video cards.... Does this 'host' PC have a PCI wireless card? (the mini-PCI is a laptop card, not a desktop card).... Also, when you mention that it was 'picking up a DSL signal at one time', were you connected to a wireless network and getting internet access?

It is possible to set up a network having your desktop as the 'host' and connect to the internet through it with the laptop, however, it might be more practical for you to purchase a cheap router to accomplish this same task. If you DO NOT have a PCI wireless card for your desktop, rather than buy one of those, you can get a wireless router, which is only a small amount more than the PCI card. ALSO, if you connect THROUGH the host computer to the internet, that desktop with HAVE to be powered on in order to get internet access from the laptop. That is NOT the case with the wireless router, only the router has to be powered on to get access from either PC. Also, to connect through the host PC, you will have to enable Internet Connection Sharing on that PC.

Good luck with your network.

EDIT: Lol, beat me to it Law... got stuck on a call for a while... lol /EDIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom