problems accessing a computer on home network

Status
Not open for further replies.
i did some reserch on the error that comes up in event log and I found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=159930

it says to fix it,

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, perform the following steps: 1. Start User Manager for Domains.
2. Select "User Rights" from the "Policy" option on the menu bar.
3. Re-add the Everyone group to the user right, "Access this computer from the network."

the problem is, I can't find User Management for Domains

is it not avalible in XP Home, or is it not avalible at all in xp?

or if it is, how do I get to it?

That's the same thing I told you to do, it's in Adminstrative Tools, Local Security Policy. Windows XP Home doesn't have this, but XP Pro, MC, 2000 do.

It should not matter on XP Home, by default, guest should already have access to the computer through the network. Guest will only see what folder is shared or if it has permission to read the folder or file.

Have you gotten that registry key fix? Needs to be set to 0 to disable restricting the guest account. Make sure to backup the registry. Sometime it's a good idea to turn off system restore.

yea i fixed the registry and also had to change two others. restrictanonymoussam, and everyoneincludesanonymous.

i actually have it working now. what I had to do was go into comand prompt, and put this:

net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -g Everyone
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -g Everyone

i had already tried the first three lines, but soeone told me to do the last two aswell, and thats what did it. Thanks a lot for all your help. I think there were so many probem from that virus that not just one thing fixed it everyone everyone;s told me has fixed it. and now i have a much greater understanding for how networking works

Glad to see you got it fix, I was wondering what virus was it that could have changed this. I didn't think terminal.exe was a virus though, didn't look it up.

I guess they had you download the Windows 2003 Server Resource Kit Tools and run the NTRights component? Never thought you would have to do that, probably because I never came across this kind of problem before. First time seeing it, guess I'm learning new things every day too. :D

actally i did a search for terminals.exe, and i found forums about people getting it from a AIM virus. they had said their computers were shutting down which mine was doing too I just didn't think they were related. I also had a worm W32.Spybot.Worm, which you get from the AIM virus. I downloaded AIMFix, which removed the virus and allowed me to fix some registry keys.

The Desktop computer running XP Home is actually my parents. Thanks to me, everyone in my family uses trillian so I went through the logs and saw that my sister had gotten the virus on there by clicking the exact link the forums said.

man did i have a long talk with her lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom