Problem with wireless network,please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

changbctim

Beta member
Hi, guys
I am completely green in networking and need some help.
I have recently bought a D link DIR 655 wireless router( connected to a desktop). The problem is that my laptop which uses Atheros wireless adapter CANNOT connect to the network even though it CAN detect it.

I had emailed to tech support in D link.

They suggested that I changed the adaptor from automatic IP address acquiring to prespecified IP address... which I did and doesn't work.

I have disabled all network securities and firewall. Both my desktop and laptop use Vista Home Premium. I have install Network Magic on my desktop (it comes with the D-link software).

Several questions:
1) My laptop CAN connect to my neighbor's linksys router..so it can be my laptop's problem..right?

2) I have used the IP address 192.168.0.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0. Is this correct? I should not be using the internet IP, right?

3) Do you think if I switch to a D link adapter on my laptop would help?

4) Vista "problem diagnosing" on my laptop either said that the network is "hidden" or time out trying to connect? ... What does this mean?

Hope you guys can help.:eek:

Thanks

Have you set a password for the wireless network? Have you configured the password on your laptop?

Is DHCP turned on or off on your router? And is your laptop configured with an assigned IP or is it requesting one?

2) I have used the IP address 192.168.0.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0. Is this correct? I should not be using the internet IP, right?

If you are saying that you put static IP 192.168.0.1 on your laptop, that will NOT work. The reason is that the default IP address of the router is 192.168.0.1, so you will have to use 192.168.0.X, where X is a number between 2 and 254 that isn't already in use on the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom