Problem with Sharing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah thanx dnoch i'll get rid of the entries of the program and see wat effect it has if any, and yeh i rerun the network setup wizard several times now with no luck.

bradybnmci:
no even trying by ip address does not work
yes they show in my network places
yes i have correct accounts and they can ping my computer

the strange thing is my xbox can see that my computer is there and i can use it to go online as well as ftp

ok i must have got a little clearer of what the problem is now because the error message has changed slightly.. see below..
problem.JPG

meaning it is something to do with security or policy perhaps permissions settings??

Are you using simple file sharing ?
I saw above that you had firewall issues prior to this, is that correct ?

Have you completed dissabled all AV and FW's ?

So your using Windows XP Professional, and the other computer can't access it but can see it. Go into control panel/administrative tools/computer management then click on local users and groups/users. Check to see if the build-in Guest account is enable, it should not have a red x on it.

Now go back into control panel click on network connection right click on the local area connection go to properties. Make sure client for microsoft networks, file and print sharing and TCP/IP protocol are listed. Double click TCP/IP then click the advanced tab on the bottom right. Click on the WINS tab on the top, make sure LMHOST is enable and NetBIOS is selected on the default radio (Do this for all your computer)

Back to Windows XP pro, control panel/folder option then click on the view tab and all the way down. You should see simple file sharing. Make sure you uncheck that.

Now go to the folder you want to share, right click go to propertie then click on the sharing tab on the top. Select "Share this folder" then click on permission tab on the bottom right and make sure the "Everyone" group is listed (it should appear as two head with the name Everyone) and that it's permission is select to read. If it is not there then click add then advanced on the bottom left then click find now. It will list all the user and group that you can add. Select the user or group you want to add then click ok.

Restart all computer, now go see if the other can browse it.

Edit: BTW what OS are you using on the other computer, also you want to disable any firewall running or virus software. In windows firewall you can leave it on but you have to add file and print sharing to the exception list and uncheck "Don't allow exceptions"

ok yes it is to do with the permissions because i tried using the xbox to access my shares and it asked for username and password.. i couldnt change any permissions even in administrator because they were shaded in grey.. all firewalls and antivirus and what not were turned off and nothing else was running. all other computers are running xp sp2 the same and used to be able to connect..

thankyou guys for your help but as i sed above i couldnt change the permissions because they were shared so i got sick of it and wanted to access my shares so i wiped C drive and reinstalled which worked. the only problem now is that i have seperate partitions for my data files and one of the folders is still holding the greyed out permissions like the old C drive with xp sp2 when i was having trouble before.. now i cannot modify the folder or whats in it but i can copy it here is a screenshot:
untitled.JPG

this is the main folder i wanted to share and i thought that if i reinstalled that it would take permissions off this folder too but because its on dif partition it didnt.. how am i supposed to delete this folder? i have already copied the contents i now need to delete this folder or replace it with the contents without the denyed permissions.

Have you taken ownership of this folder ? I see the special permissions have "Deny" Attributes on them... Get rid of those if you can... Make that folder Attribute "Full Control".

I think I know why you couldn't access the computer. What happen in local security policy\local policies\user rights assignment and look at where it says "Access this computer from the network" and "Deny this computer from the network" in the "access" there should be the Everyone group there, if the Everyone group is in the "deny" then you'll going to have problem. I know you fix it, this is probably the reason even though you did all that I say. I'm positive this was the cause as I just had this happen to me.

bradybnmci: i cannot take ownership of this folder because it is shaded in grey.. and i cannot change special permissions because they are in grey also.. safe mode or logging as admin does not make the shaded grey go away? i only need to delete this folder now is there any program that will delete a folder bypassing all restrictions?? i havnt come across any?

law: yes that sounds like it was the cause of the problem thanks a lot i'll know if it happens again, i just looked at it then and its set for everyone so it makes sense that if it wasnt set that noone could access shares without a username or password

Is this folder on a different partition ?
you are absolutely positive that this partition is NTFS ?
You can always get that folder back, I would need to get my hands on it....

Can you access the properties of that folder at all ?
Can you take screen shots of "All" the property tabs for me ?

Ok im looking at your permissions tab right now... I see that you have an edit button thats not greyed out... can you access this ?
Can you change the deny attribute ?

Edit : Normally the reason for the boxes being greyed out it b/c they are inheritting the permissions from a parent.
If you look on your permissions tab you will see that it is being inheritted from something. What is the parent folder or directory ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom