Problem with Router - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Problem with Router

I have had a Linksys WRT54G Wired/Wireless router for almost 2 years. For the past year or so, it would occasionally cut out internet altogether maybe once or twice a week. In the past 4 months, the problem has drastically worsened. Now, it happens 3-5 times a day and when it goes out, the whole internet does...not just the wireless.

Before, we were told by our ISP that it was the internet connection going out on us and to reset both the modem and router by unplugging them. Now, I can tell that it's just the router because that is the only piece of equipment that ever has to be reset. If the modem is not reset, but the router is, we get internet back.

Is the router just dying? What would be a good replacement? We do a decent amount of online gaming...is it worth buying a gaming router?

Old 12-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Problem with Router

Have you checked to see if there is an update for the router?

Old 12-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

I meant to add in that I've tried updating the firmware and it won't...It always says that the update failed no matter what version I try updating to.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

May be hardware that is corrupt. Sounds to me like your only option is to upgrade to a new router.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Try using an alternative firmware. The stock Linksys firmware is...honestly, terrible. We bought a brand new WRT160N (pretty much the Wireless N version of the 54g) and it dropped connections just hours after plugging it in.

I downloaded DD-WRT (an AWESOME firmware modification that is very stable, adds a TON of features, is free, and works with many Linksys models) and flashed it onto my router. Connected fine, got Internet, and haven't had any dropped connections for months.

The DD-WRT firmware works on the WRT-54g just fine (it's pretty much the most compatible model). You may have to check which version you have, as different versions use different versions of DD-WRT, you may have to use a light version if your router doesn't have much memory in it (some of the newer WRT54g's don't have as much memory).

Closed Thread