Problem with Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millenniumtiger

In Runtime
I have had a Linksys WRT54G Wired/Wireless router for almost 2 years. For the past year or so, it would occasionally cut out internet altogether maybe once or twice a week. In the past 4 months, the problem has drastically worsened. Now, it happens 3-5 times a day and when it goes out, the whole internet does...not just the wireless.

Before, we were told by our ISP that it was the internet connection going out on us and to reset both the modem and router by unplugging them. Now, I can tell that it's just the router because that is the only piece of equipment that ever has to be reset. If the modem is not reset, but the router is, we get internet back.

Is the router just dying? What would be a good replacement? We do a decent amount of online gaming...is it worth buying a gaming router?

Try using an alternative firmware. The stock Linksys firmware is...honestly, terrible. We bought a brand new WRT160N (pretty much the Wireless N version of the 54g) and it dropped connections just hours after plugging it in.

I downloaded DD-WRT (an AWESOME firmware modification that is very stable, adds a TON of features, is free, and works with many Linksys models) and flashed it onto my router. Connected fine, got Internet, and haven't had any dropped connections for months.

The DD-WRT firmware works on the WRT-54g just fine (it's pretty much the most compatible model). You may have to check which version you have, as different versions use different versions of DD-WRT, you may have to use a light version if your router doesn't have much memory in it (some of the newer WRT54g's don't have as much memory).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom