Problem printing from winxp machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmas

Beta member
Hi people,
I'm running a cyber cafe, I'm using machines running on win98se, win2k and winxp, I'm using a network printer Hp laserjet 1018 which I've shared from a win98 machine, the other machines running on win98 and 2k are printing ok but my problemi is with the winxp machines only, when I command any document to print, its taking abnormally long to respond i.e to bring up the printing dialoge box, when it does it prints ok, I used to have win 2k on this machines and they used to print perfectly, immediately after upgrading to winxp I started getting problems. Please help, because even Hp support guys doesnt seem to understand my problem.

Thank you in advance

Cosmas.

The problem lies in the fact you have the printer on a 98 Machine. Windows XP had its netowrking redone from that of 98 and even 2000. Windows 98 and Windows XP do not network well together and it takes much longer for each of them to communincate and get requests filles in a timely manner.

Seeing as how you run a Cyber Cafe. I would HIGHLY suggest you get rid of 98. NOW.

It has been well over a year since Microsoft stopped support for that OS and there ahve been no patches to it. Which means that someone with even very little hacking knowledge could take over your network easily. Even the DNS flaw that was discovered jsut last month is still alive and well on 98 systems. they are full of flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom