problem with linksys router

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkolk

In Runtime
I have a linksys router problem after a configuration of wires change no one gets internet except my computer. But my computer cannot connect to the router by typing in 192.168.1.1 My IPAddress is 96.32.242.XX instead of 192.168.1.XXX
I have disconnected the router and hub for 5 minutes and nothing reset.
What i have is internet from modem going to linksys wireless router-> 2 computers and a hub which goes to 2 more computers. And another computer and ps3 connected wirelessly.
I can take several connections from the router or hub and connect it to my computer and get internet but i cant access the router, and the same wire that gives me internet doesnt give a different computer internet.
I have no idea whats going on, and i dont know why unplugging the router and hub for 5 minutes didn't reset all the configurations.

So what would keep me from accessing the router via 192.168.1.1

EDIT:
Hmm plugging any computer directly into the modem does not work, again except for my one computer.

EDIT:
Repairing the connection (renewing the IPAddress) failed on my comp and others.

Do an ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew on your computer and see if that makes a difference.

Also, do an ipconfig on all computers and check their default gateways.

ipconfig /release /renew didnt change the IP

Default gateway is 96.32.240.1
This should be 192.168.1.1 shouldnt it? what happened there

A plethora of questions and suggestions:

Does your modem have a built in router? Is there anyway you can access and edit settings in your modem?

Does the wireless work fine? Just none of the switch ports on the router work except for your one computer? Go into your Control Panel > Network Connections then right click the local internet connection and go to properties. Then where you see "This connection uses the following items" Scroll down to Internet Protocol TCP/IP. Click it and choose Properties. Make sure all settings are set to "Obtain an IP automatically."

Other than that, it sounds like it is only passing internet through the modem and that the router is not having any affect. The weird 96.32.242.XX would show up if only connected through the modem and would indicate that perhaps your router has been changed from ROUTER mode, to GATEWAY mode or something else. There is no small reset button on the router? It could be that somehow the firmware or other router specific software on your router has become corrupt because regardless of what was changed it should still let you connect with 192.168.1.1

modem doesnt have built in router.

wireless isnt working. I didnt set up the wireless initially but i heard there is an option to turn it on which mightve got reset when the router was turned off for extended period of time.

Internet Protocol TCP/IP is set to obtain an IP automatically.

The router has a reset button, im not sure its working tho. I've held it down for 30 seconds and thought there would be a red light that would appear on the front to indicate a reset.

EDIT:
So I just noticed that the power LED is flashing, where it should probably be a solid.

EDIT: So did a google search on flashing power LED and it says the firmware isnt loading properly and im trying to follow this link My power LED is flashing. - LinksysInfo - Community Forums for Linksys Devices
to upgrade the firmware.

But even setting a manual
IP: 192.168.1.20
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.1
I cant get to the router to update/reload firmware.

Did you unplug the modem and router and turn off the PC. The in this order turn them back on.

Router
Modem
PC

This will allow the modem and router to recognize each other and communicate. The power LED Flashing could be due to this. It could also be telling you that the router is defective.

thats what i was trying to do in my last step.
I can't upgrade the firmware because i cant connect to the router.
Setting the IPaddress and settings manually was supposed to let me connect to it but isnt working.

I think ima go with it being broken and get a new one.

I appreciate the help though.

I figured it was some firmware issue. Sorry we couldn't find a way to fix the one you already have. Hopefully the new one won't be faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom