Problem with Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.

qw111

Beta member
Recently, I've been experiencing random latency spikes during my online gaming. I used to get a steady 50-60 ping, now I am getting spikes up to 900. I am running windows xp, verizon dsl using a Westell Versalink 327W. I have called up Verizon and they have said that there is no problem with their end. On my modem, the lights:

Power: steady green
E1: blinking really really fast green
Wireless: blinking green
DSL: steady green
Ethernet: blinking green

Could this be a problem on my computer, a program that is running that is causing this, or maybe it could be my modem. Again this problem has occured recently, i have had no troubles with this before.

I would suspect that the trouble is your connection being saturated with traffic. Ping's are ICMP packets, which have the LOWEST priority of any of the packets (unless otherwise specified in QoS, but I DOUBT that you will be able to do that with your equipment.) ANYWAYS.... Lets say that you have multiple PC's on your network, and someone else is running a P2P software, then that will likely be using MOST of the bandwidth, causing the ICMP packets to be delayed, thus, your ping is higher. If you have this problem, I would suggest making sure that any other computers on the network are SHUT OFF, and have NO OTHER programs running on the PC, and see if the problem persists. That way, you have eliminated (in theory) all of the other possible traffic on your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom