Problem in Internet sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

vipinsinghal

Beta member
We have a File server installed with windows 2000 another mail server is working on Linux. For linux server we are using dial up modem for the internet and receiving the mail.

For browsing internet we are using ISDN line and Dlink Router. The IP Address of the router is 192.168.0.1. The IP address of the file server is 192.168.0.2. The IP address of the mail server is 192.168.0.3.

To access internet on the nodes we are using gateway 192.168.0.1 and DNS 192.168.0.1.

By doing this we are facing the problem that user takes lot of time to login (aprox. 3-4 minutes). As soon as we give the Gateway address 192.168.0.2 and DNS 192.168.0.2 the login problem is solved but Internet has gone.

Installed Analog proxy on the file server and internet routed thru it to the clients. But it is very slow and most of the time not able to open the page.

Please post the suggestion

What type of Linux system is it? Does it have a firewall on it?

If its using iptables, I think you can set it up as a router, you need to start by having it forward requests (run the following command). Without this, you have the situation as you described.

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

You might try this, since you're already behind a firewall:

iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p all-s ip_addr_of_the_other_router -j ACCEPT

iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p all -d ip_addr_of_the_other_router -j ACCEPT

iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -j ACCEPT

(note that iptables-A OUTPUT blah blah blah and ip_addr_of_the_other_router.. put that on all the same line!!!)

the ip_addr_of_the_other_router should be your dlink router, then have everything use the Linux system as its gateway, instead of the router.

This sound okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom