Problem with DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustinBender

Beta member
I'm having some trouble connecting to the DHCP server, and I'm hoping to get some help.
I'm running XP, connected to a broadband connection through a router along with another computer. The other computer connects to the net fine, however mine will not.
My computer won't allow me to renew my IP address, timing out every time i run "ipconfig/renew".
We've tried mimicking the IP details (with the last number changed), and this allows the two computers to communicate over a network, but without connecting to the DHCP, I cannot get net access.
When we called the ISP, they suggested it could have been a hardware problem, however, I am running a brand new Netgear card, and the other Realtec card that I had worked fine in my old house under the same conditions.

Please someone help!

If you are connectiong through router then problem is not with your ISP since your router is acting as a DHCP server in this case.
When your computer boots it will request an IP from your router (192.168.0.1 for example) not from your ISP.

To me seems like the problem is with your NIC settings. Could be a bad ethernet cord too but not likley.
I would reinstall TCP/IP settings and driver for NIC card.

Re:

Hello,

In your Network Connections network device properties...have you set it to 'Obtain an IP adress automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' in 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)' properties...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom