Problem connecting to Internet within computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I go to the command prompt and type in ipconfig, it ONLY says:

Windows IP Configuration

then goes back to the command line. I'll try the uninstalling thing now.

Well, I reinstalled the NIC, and now it gives me a "basic connection unavailiable" error. Looking into possible reasons now...

EDIT: Now i get an error 678, and when I type in ipconfig, all that comes up is 0.0.0.0 for the first two listings, and nothing for the second two listings.

The error 678 is a modem error. If you are trying to bring up a remote connection, it means that the remote is not answering correctly. here is the Q article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q318009

Ok, just to go back over this once again, Have you replaced the lan cable? can you ping youself (127.0.0.1)? Are you sure the PPOE settings are correct? Did you enable a mac filter on the router and not add that machine to it?
I'm runningout of ideas on this one...

I can ping myself. I'm sure the PPPoE settings are correct, and the cable has been tested to work. How do I do the MAC filter stuff?

It's on the router. The router can have the option, depending on the unit, to filter out mac addresses. You need to look at the configuration of that unit to see it.

(man I can't type today)

I attempted to find the mac filters, but it appears that the smc7004VBR router does not have a mac filter. So that probably is not the problem.

I would just replac the NIC. Like a previous post said, it only cost $15. 5 minutes to install and will supress any headache you have. You should always have a network connection present. now you are not receiving an ip., now DNS comes into play. I recently had an onboard nic go on me. It said for days network cable unplugged. Nothing was going to fix this. picked up a cheap nic, installed back on net in 10 min.
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom