Problem connecting to Internet within computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkhitman

Baseband Member
A few days ago, my internet connection was working fine. Yesterday, however, it gave me a TCP/IP error when connecting.

My computer is part of a small home network, connected to a SMC Barricade 7004VBR Router to a SpeedStream 5360 modem, using SBC Yahoo! DSL service.

The other computer (and XBox) connected to the same router work fine, but my computer cannot connect.

The problem is not in the modem, the router, or the cable leading to my computer. As such, I believe the problem to lie in either my Network Adapter (PRO200WL) or software-related.

To support this point, when I open up my Network Connections folder, there are no connections listed. Before (when my internet was working), there was a DSL connection, a TCP/IP connection, and a few others. But now, the folder is empty.

Whenever I try to connect to the internet, I recieve an error message (769), or no error but still a failed attempt.

I tried to add new connections, but the process never worked. I tried to reinstall TCP/IP, but either I didn't do it correctly or it didn't help. SBC Connection Manager Repair Center would get stuck in an endless loop, demanding I restart my computer for the process to continue, but then restart the process when I did so.

I've tried for two days now to get this to work, but to no avail. I tried calling SBC tech support, and they told me to re-install the browser. How this could help me was not evident. It didn't help, obviously.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks,

Darkhitman.

error 769 means that your Network card is disabled. Why is it disabled we can't say for sure right now. go to device manager and reenable. (right click my computer/properties/hardware/device manager/ right click net adapter and enable)
now try to reconnect. you may have to establish a connection again but that should do it

good luck

My network adapter was already enabled, but I disabled and re-enabled it anyway. It didn't help, because I can't create a new connection.

I need to create a LAN connection in order to install SBC (re-install, actually), but I can't do it. Any suggestions why not?

Oh, and when I try to ping the host computer, it can't do it (100% packet loss), and when the host computer pings my computer, the connection times out.

I appreciate any help given.

What OS are u using?
When you go to network properties you don't see a Local Area Connection?
If you don't see a local area connection, there is some issue with the NIC. ou should see one even if there is not internet connection or cable plugged in.
When you reenabled the NIC did it have a yellow question mark or exclamation point?
Look on the back of the NIC, is there a link or activity light?
Here is what I would do:
If there is not a link light, start troubleshooting the NIC. possibly run a diagnostic. If ok. work backwards, connect modem directy to computer....can you connect...yes then plug in the router and so on.
If you need to restack tcp/ip
(XP) start/run/cmd/ netsh int ip reset tcplog.txt/enter
also flush your dns ipconfig /flushdns/ then reboot.

(98,ME,2000) start/cntrl pnl/network/remove all instances of tcp/ip/ then reboot
go back to network install/protocol/microsoft/tcp/ip
(win98/ME) you may need you 98/ME cd, no cd the point the search to c:\windows\options\cabs

reestablishing connection depends on the OS. does SBC require a pppoe connection?
(XP) network connections/create new connection/connect to internet/setup connection manually/SBC/type in uid@yahoo.net/com(what ever the domain is)/password/uncheck box at bottom about firewall/finish/connect

98/ME/2000 needs a pppoe client but your router should have that already

let me know what happens

I'm using Windows XP as my operation system. There are no connections in my network connections folder.

The cmd commands gave me no errors, but I was unable to connect afterwards.

And, no, I cannot connect when directly connected to the modem, either.

Yes, SBC requires a PPPoE connection.

Have you tried a different Nic yet? This seems to be what it comes down to. Either the Nic is dead or disabled. That is about what you are left with.
Are you sure that the Newtork Card in device manager is not disabled? Seems that is the only logical place in software that would control this.
Unless of course if you are using an onboard nic, then check the Bious to make sure it is not turned off there.

A different NIC? Where can I get a different one?

And yes, I am sure that the device is enabled... I even un-enabled and re-enabled it to make sure.

Also, the diagnostic scan reported that it passed on all of the categories, so I'm lost as for what to do.

I was able to add a new connection to my network connections folder, but whenever I try to connect through it, I get an error 769: port cannot be reached.

Network cards cost like 15 dollors at the local tech store. Just pick up any one and give it a try.

You say you have disabled and enabled the NIC, hows about uninstalling and reinstalling (see if you can use a mates computer to get the proper drivers from the manufacturers website)

Give that a whirl. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom