Problem Connecting to Home Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulkykenshln

Solid State Member
Hi, a few weeks ago (maybe two) I reformatted my computer and re-installed and my other needed things. I think.

Anyway, when I tried to connect to my home network everything seemed to work out okay, but after a while, I realized that I couldn't access other computer's shared documents. I'm sure that there are some shared files on the network, when I go to "my network places" I am the only computer that shows up.

Also, my IP address starts with 192.168.15 instead of just 192.168.1

I don't know if that has to do with anything, but I hope someone can help me.

Thanks~:D

Check the IP addresses on both computers, post them up. Do that by going to the cmd prompt and typing "ipconfig /all" without the quotes.

Can you ping one pc from the other? typing in "ping x.x.x.x" (where x.x.x.x is the ip address of the other pc)

When I used the "ipconfig /all" a window appeared and shortly disappeared.

When I tried to ping to my brother's computer it said "request timed out".

If you're hardwired into the network you should be able to change your ip. Go onto a computer that's in the network and do the ipconfig /all and then pick an ip that isn't used by another computer.

Also what's your network setup like? like modem >>> router >>> computer a / computer b / etc...

Open a command prompt and type the ipconfig /all command there. report the info back.

start / run / cmd to open the command prompt.

both computers need to be in the same ip range:
as examples

If you have a router make sure both computers are set to obtain ip automatically.
If you are just using a switch you will need to set static ip addresses for them.

They also need to be in the same workgroup for ease.

It says "IP routing disabled". I'm not sure what other information you're asking for. I'm connected through a router. When I try to input my IP address manually I have no internet connection.

When I used the "ipconfig /all" a window appeared and shortly disappeared.

That shouldn't be happening, no matter what your config. At this point I'd say it's either your network drivers, or part of the windows installation is corrupt.

First, download the latest drivers for your network card. Then uninstall the old ones and install the new ones.
If the problem still persists, then do a windows repair install. You'll need a windows xp disk to do that btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom