[Problem] Computer doesn't notice ethernet cable - in one room?

bengjo

Baseband Member
Hi

I've come across a weird problem I just can't seem to figure out on my own or with google. Was hoping someone here could help me?

Problem:
Seemingly out of nowhere, computer A in room A doesn't recognize the ethernet cable anymore. I've tried looking for updates etc, but with no luck.

So I moved computer A to room B and tried the cable that's in there. It worked fine. Then I tried moving computer B to room A (where the problem was) and computer B has no problem recognizing the cable (the one computer A doesn't work with).

So to me, it seems like the cable is fine, but so is the computer - unless they're together. Like the two are incompatible, but only with eachother.

What could that mean? How do I go about troubleshooting further?

This is very confusing to me and I would highly appreciate some feedback or help!

Was the connection seated fully in Computer A? Is it a straight-through ethernet cable, or a crossover cable?

Was the connection seated fully in Computer A? Is it a straight-through ethernet cable, or a crossover cable?

Yes, it's seated properly. Tried several times, both computers on the different cables, same result every time: Computer B works with both, computer A only works on one of them.

It's a straight through cable.

Before "changing the cable solution" is suggested, by the way: the cables go through walls and stuff, so simply changing the cable itself is a bit of a job. A last resort kinda thing.

Last edited:
Could possibly be a driver issue maybe?

Weird that it doesn't work with Computer A, but works with Computer B. And weird that Computer A doesn't work in Room A, but works in Room B...

Could possibly be a driver issue maybe?

Weird that it doesn't work with Computer A, but works with Computer B. And weird that Computer A doesn't work in Room A, but works in Room B...

I'll switch the hard drives on Computer A and B and try booting the software on the different machines and see if it makes a difference. Would that help pinpoint whether this is a software or hardware issue?

Unless you're running Win7 Pro, or the machines have identical hardware, it most likely will just give you a BSOD on boot because of the different hardware profile.

Unless you're running Win7 Pro, or the machines have identical hardware, it most likely will just give you a BSOD on boot because of the different hardware profile.

Oh. Should I reformat and reinstall windows then?

Back
Top Bottom