Problem with Belkin/Linksys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gah, I just found out that Belkin uses an autoconfiguration IP address...

and it looked like I wasn't set to automatically receive IP's after all...

:embarrassed:

I've reset it so it does that now, but it still isn't working. I'll try getting an IP off cmd again.

Ok, yes you need to reset it so the DHCP server on the router which is the service giving you the IP address, it should be enable.

Now check your computer network card:

# Click the Start button, and select Control Panel.
# Click the Network and Internet Connections link.
# Click the Network Connections link.
# Right-click your local area connection, and select Properties.
# Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
# Click the Properties button.
# Select the Obtain an IP Address Automatically option.
# Select the Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically option.

Go open up command prompt,

type:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
then ipconfig /all to show the result.

You can post a screenie for me to see.

Okay, I just realised that I was doing most of this stuff from the main computer, when I was meant to do it from the laptop. I've set the laptop to automatically detect now...

but it says it can't contact the DHCP... Also, Autoconfiguration IP is set to on for belkin... any idea how to turn that off?

To turn of DHCP on Windows just simply go to the TCP/IP properties and assign the computer an IP address.

Use this:

IP address: 192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1

And see if you can get to the router configuration

I realised I was doing most of this for my LAN, and then I tried setting the IP on my WNC 5 to the same one in command, and then off again, as well as disabling LAN.

Dr Watson diagnostic found nothing wrong, but I still can't access the internet, or configure the router. I think it's because I'm coming up with the IP of the USB NA instead of the router... I'll try getting the router IP or something.

I get more and more confused about this every day, but I really want to set it p, and wont rest till I do =P

I've also made a topic about this on the Linksys forums.

I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. It's probably good to start over slowly.

The first thing you want to do is get into the router web configuration.

You connect a straight-through cable or patch cable as they are call. If you don't know, just hold the end side by side and if the colors coordination matches then it's a straight-through. You connect the cable to a computer with a NIC card to the router, you should configure the router using a wired connection first. Then reset the router, there should be a reset button. This should turn it back to default setting which should enable the DHCP server.

Now go to Control Panel>Network Connection, here you should see your network card or if you have more than one you'll probably see two. Right click on the one that is connected to the router, select Properties, double click TCP/IP, make sure the following is selected

Select Obtain an IP address automatically.
Select Obtain DNS server address automatically.
Select OK to save.

Wait about 30 second for it to request an IP address from the router's DHCP server.

After that, open up command prompt, type in ipconfig /all show me the result.

Alright, I thought this might be the case: The product I have isn't actually a router. *crosses fingers that PC World will swap for router*

lol, I got a WAP. Thanks for understanding. I lost the installation CD, so it's "gg no re 4 me" >_<. Apparently I can use it to send my wired modems signals to my wireless USB... but that doesn't seem to work. I have a DSL modem <_<.

WAP stands for Wireless Access Point, I assume you have one. You know it's not a router and isn't capable of sharing a single connection right? It's just there for sharing a wireless network within your LAN, there's no NAT feature for sharing a single public IP on a WAP. I hope I misunderstood something or else this might just be your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom