Problem with ASUS Modem Router, ADSL Cable problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRANTA

Beta member
Hi,

Ok, so the family desktop gets broadband internet provided by TalkTalk and relies on a speedtouch 330 modem. Bought an ASUS DSL N11 Modem/Router today to try and wireless network my laptop. Set hardware up as shown and the network map graphic on the GUI shows that I apparently have internet access, as does the icon in the Windows taskbar. Whenever I try to connect however, I'm persistently told that the ADSL cable in the WAN port is unplugged or not recognised. Have checked the connection several times and followed the (limited) troubleshooing steps in the manual but with no success. Obviously plan to contact ASUS support but thought I'd post here in case anyone has any ideas or has the same model.

Also, had initially thought that the new modem-router all in one unit would replace the speedtouch modem we have but as the speedtouch modem provides a dial up connection we can't replace it. So we now have the same initial broadband setup upstairs and the new router on the ground floor in order to connect it to the wall telephone outlet there. (The manual said if problems persisted to contact the ADSL service provider, so I don't know if there could be an issue with our existing setup)

Phew, anyway that's it-hope someone can give some advice :smile:

I believe that modem requires you to use a dial-up connection. Are you still able to do that?

And from what I am reading it's usb not ethernet. How exactly is it connected?

Being a USB modem, and not an Ethernet modem, drivers and software must be installed in order for the Speedtouch USB to work. The absence of an Ethernet interface also means that a Local Area Network, or LAN, cannot be built using this modem, even with the use of an USB capable router or an USB Hub. Unless you use a computer capable of performing NAT (Network Address Translation) and configure it to do so, or perform a similar server-based network masquerading technique such as an HTTP or SOCKS proxy, access is limited to one computer.

Yeah, the speedtouch 330 is USB and needs a dial up connection. Haven't tampered with that. Just bought a new ADSL 'n' speed modem to connect to one of the spare phone line jacks ahd hoped to set up a wireless LAN with that, but is that actually a viable option?

I think you'd need to turn a computer into a firewall to achieve this.

Ok. Suppose I was to upgrade the broadband package I get, would that be a way to get around the problem? Providers seem to advertise free routers with their packages so that would seem to imply I'd have no trouble setting up a home wireless network with an updated broadband connection.

ask the ISP how this could be accomplished. the modem is the big issue at the moment. they may not want you to have more than one computer per connection. maybe switching isps is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom