Problem accessing internet from client pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry Mike - I've edited the 'hosts' file and re-booted the client pc but when I view workgroup computers the host does not appear - still can't see shared files!

Ok, this isn't going to fix your problem, but it may address what's going on. From the client PC, change the IP address to exactly match the host address. You should get an IP conflict error on the host PC as well as the client. See if you can change the IP address on the client and still access the internet.

-Mike

Hi Mike - I get the following message "The static IP address that was configured is already in use on the network. Please reconfigure a different IP address." No internet access on client.

Ok, but yet when you have this IP set at 1.3 and try to 'ping' 192.168.1.2 you can't? Doesn't make sense........hmmmm

-Mike

that's right... when client is 1.3 I can ping from the host and get a reply but when I ping from the client to 1.2 it is timed out.

Hmmm, this may be one of those "Remote" or "Be in front of the PC fixes" for me. But try one more thing. Try and disconnect form the internet on the host PC completely. Now try to ping. If you dont get any results than it would be something that I'd like to get another opinion for, but if you can ping 192.168.1.3 from 192.168.1.2 while the internet has been disconnected then it's an IP route change that your dealing with.

-Mike

yes I can ping 192.168.1.3 from 192.168.1.2 when the internet is disconnected. I'm in the north of Scotland if you can get here!

Scotland huh...might be a little hard to get there at the moment...

Another question, what exactly is assigning the IP addresses? (I'm not sure if the WAP is doing it or the host PC has a DHCP server started)

Or, are you using static IP's?

I've inserted the static IP addresses (192.168.1.2 and 1.3) in the TCP/IP properties on both pcs. Still struggling to find out what the problem is - hoping you can help.

Still struggling to find out why I can't see shared folders from either host or client pc and yet I can access the internet from the client. Hoping you can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom